In this current market, buyers have choices. If you're a seller and are looking to make your home more appealing than other comparable homes, Paul Cardis, CEO of Avid Ratings, a company that conducts an annual survey of buyer preferences,identified these "must haves":
1. Large kitchens with islands
2. Energy efficiency, including energy-efficient appliances, super insulation, and high-efficiency windows.
3. Home offices
4. Main-floor master suite
5. Outdoor living space
6. Ceiling fans
7. Soaking tub in the master suite and/or an oversize shower with a seating area
8. Stone and brick exteriors rather than stucco or vinyl
9. Community walking paths and playgrounds
10. Two-car garages, but three-car garages are even more desirable
Maybe you can't change the exterior of your home or lobby for a community walking path, but with the help of an interior designer you can turn an unused space into a home office, install some ceiling fans and create a beautiful outdoor living space.
If you have a little more to spend and want to maximize the potential for sale, kitchens and bathrooms always provide a good return on investment, particularly in Southern California. Also energy efficient appliances and windows are high on the list as we're all becoming more conscious of our carbon footprint.
It's all about creating comfortable and casual spaces where people can see their friends and family coming together to share meals and celebrate events in a relaxing, beautiful and casual environment.
Source: Realtor Magazine